Monday, January 30, 2012

Trail Hopping

countdown to race: 74 days

Today's high is going to be 67 degrees. It's January! I'm not convinced that winter weather isn't on it's way, but I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to escape the gym and hit the trail.

We are lucky enough to have a great trail nearby. Yesterday we ran our long run on the Little Blue Trace Trail, an 11-mile course along the Little Blue River. I like running the trail, but I'm too much of a chicken to go it alone. Since neither of us have been very motivated to run on our own, Mark and I have started running together. We ran all three of our training runs last week!

As much as I enjoy the free cable at the gym, I prefer running outdoors.

Things I like about running on the trail...
nature is much more entertaining than TV
people on the trail are always friendly
I'm inclined to run farther
better prep for road races
occasional animal sighting
watching the sunset
you can start at different spots for a change of scenery
no waiting in line for the treadmill
fresh air
watching the sun set

Of course there are some unpleasant things about running outside...
rocks in my shoes
bicyclists, sorry but I'd rather run in the middle of the trail
occasional stench
worrying about carrying water
weird folks hanging out under bridges
running in the dark
mud
dodging goose/dog poop

My feelings about the trail will be different in the 100 degree temps of July, but at the moment, the opportunity to get outside and run is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment