Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Running Coach

countdown to race: 101 days
More often than not we are plugged in when we run. There are times when I ditch the iphone, particularly if baby is in tow and I want to make sure I hear any wimper or giggle (it is seriously the best motivation). But most of the time I've got my earbuds in and I'm pounding the pavement to my power mix.

Another perk to running with the iphone, a nifty free app named RunKeeper. It is excellent! The newest version has a coach option that allows you to program based on length and speed and gives you audio cues based off your preferences. I have my program set to chime in every quarter mile with the distance completed, current pace and time. It has a gps function so I know exactly how far I have to run and it even shows a map of where I've been. After each run it cues you for notes about the run. Mine are usually something like:

Bass Pro with stroller. Walked too much. HOT

It's a great tool and it's a great way to keep track of your mileage. I'm not sure if they offer a Blackberry or Droid option but I'm sure there is something similar out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment