Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Running Groupie

countdown to race: 93 days

For a long time I was a lone runner. Other people just held my back - you know, cause I run so fast. But then I started running with Mark and realized there are a lot of benefits to running with someone. So when we saw there was a free running group associated with our next half marathon, we signed up.

We did our first groupie run on Sunday. It was an interesting experience. Kind of like a road race but less people and you don't have to run a certain distance - course flags, aid stations and prizes. I ran the first two miles in front of two people who were training for a full marathon. Deciding to go without headphones, while I stomped along trying not to breath too loudly, I got to hear all about the previous day's run, the dog's need to take a poop at 2am, and how hot the actor who played Conan the Barbarian is, all spoken at a normal conversation level.

While I thoroughly enjoyed this conversation (sarcasm), I was glad to turn back at mile two and let the chatty runners continue on for the remainder of the six-mile course.

Mark and I are quiet, as people and runners. We talk to each other a lot, usually about nothings like these two people, but when it comes to running, mums the word. Maybe it's because we're putting out too much effort trying to breath, but I've convinced myself it's deeper than that.

Running is personal time. I get the irony that running together is our alone time, but it is. I run for me, to feel good about myself, to clear my mind and to help keep my body at least somewhat fit. How can I do all that while gripping about work or planning our weekend?

We don't plan to run with the group every week, but we will meet up with them once a month for a change of scenery and hill training. I can't wait to find out if it was in fact the 10pm doggie treat that caused the midnight potty break.

Are you a chatty runner? Or, like me, do you just want to run in peace - or with the Black Eyed Peas?

No comments:

Post a Comment